Thursday, July 29, 2010

WELCOME

This is the first blog at my new site. Many, many thanks to the gifted artist who has designed the destination--Mila Sterling.

I had a manicure this week from the salon at the end of my street.

The woman who 'did' my nails complained of sore eyes from the chemicals used there; she explained that for recently-arrived VietNamese migrants such as her self, this was a good job, however. Unlike undertaking further education, it had a quick financial return.

She asked me whether I played guitar. I took this to be a comment on my nails being too long. No, she said, it's about your hair and earrings. 'You are a musician, in a band.'

The woman next to me was paying for her pedicure. She insisted on using a credit card for the bill and tipping with cash, to ensure the workers received their share. I applauded her for this. She turned to me and confided 'They live seven or eight to a room. They don't pay taxes but they use all our services. i know. I used to teach. They've got to learn about taxes. They're illegal.' With that, she was gone, leaving me stunned by this blend of workerism and bigotry.

5 comments:

  1. Nice to see your new website made it live. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toby, what do you mean by "workerism"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edie--thanks for the kind remark! Much appreciated

    Toby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maya--workerism is used on the left to criticize analyses that focus on workers over other social actors. Such approaches are deemed to overdetermine the approach, thereby downplaying other social identities and institutions, and dedicating too much to supposed gains by unions, for example.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah. Got it. Thanks for the clarification. And congratulations on a rich website.

    ReplyDelete