Sunday, August 22, 2010

RIO DE JANEIRO

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro this morning, my first day in Brazil. I'm here to teach a course called Recreating the Nation for graduate students in the school of communication. You can find the outline on this site, under the heading 'Espanol.' I can't speak Portuguese, so the class will be in Spanish, with perhaps some English, too. No-one will be operating in their first language.

I gave an interview today to a journalist from O Globo and also lunched with one of the symposium organizers. Then I was lucky enough to have time to catch some waves at Copacabana Beach, which is just a block or two from my hotel. Even though it's winter, the waters were warm as well as beautiful.

Now it's time to read over the syllabus and think about the clips of Ignacio Martin-Baro and Michel Foucault we'll be watching in class, in addition to nutting my way through Martin-Baro in Portuguese

Toby

2 comments: